Quinoa Tabbouleh

I came up with this recipe early in my gluten free days simply because I missed true Lebanese tabbouleh.  I was mourning the loss of many favorite foods - pizza being the hardest - while learning and adapting to this new lifestyle.  When the time came that I wanted Middle Eastern takeout  for dinner, I could not enjoy the tabbouleh because it is made with bulgur or couscous - both forms of wheat.  Since I was getting tired of mourning the loss of each wheat-based favorite after the other, and because I'm a creative cook, I took this bull by the horns and decided quinoa should work as a replacement.  It turned out beautifully!

I liked it so much that I began bringing it to gatherings and it always gets eaten.  It's fresh, colorful, and offers a unique and healthy option on the table.  This recipe is also perfect for tweaking.  Cucumber is traditionally incorporated, but for Christmas I like to use red and yellow bell peppers instead.  In summer it's nice and refreshing with cucumber and mint.  Last summer I threw in some blueberries in season and it was even more fabulous.  I even made a fall version with chopped Honeycrisp apple and some dried cranberries.

This is a mellower tabbouleh than you may have had in a Lebanese restaurant.  Traditionally it should have much more parsley - lots more, think green - but since I usually bring it to a gathering with mixed tastes I cut the parsley level.  You might want to increase the onion, too - I'm not a fan and keep it minimal.  Do it up however you like!  

Basic recipe:

  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley and 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint (or use all parsley) - organic is best
  • 1 seeded and chopped cucumber
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
  • 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • Juice of one large lemon
  • 1 TBS avocado oil
Cool the cooked quinoa or prep it the day before.  In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic clove and blend in the lemon juice and oil with a little salt and pepper.  In a large bowl add the chopped veggies and herbs to the quinoa, and toss with the dressing.  Check for salt and pepper.  A little sprinkle of red wine vinegar helps zest it up, too.  Chill until ready to eat.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - 10 Messages Your Angels Want You to Know by Doreen Virtue

Commemorating My Sister's Soul Departure

CBD Oil - Hype or Hope?