Slow Cooker Moroccan Butternut Squash Stew

Slow Cooker Moroccan Butternut Squash Stew

This is my own spin on a WW vegan classic.  I make it spicier than the original version with the addition of garam masala and a little extra red pepper.  A bowl of this warming vegan stew is extra satisfying when paired with quinoa or mashed sweet potatoes.  I often save the time of prepping the butternut by buying a package of pre-cut squash.

I must confess to having a little Instant Pot guilt here.  I don't  use my old four quart Rival Crock-Pot anymore, which makes me feel sad sometimes.  Our Rival used to be the fourth member of the family!  But everything just comes out tasting better when it's made using the Instant Pot slow cooker function, and the added benefit is not needing a separate piece of cookware to saute the onions and garlic.

Sometimes I like to add a little torn kale to bump up nutrients and color, but not too much.  I like the orange vibrancy of the carrots and butternut to shine.

Ingredients:
  • avocado oil
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. garam masala, or more to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1.5 cups of carrots cut in 1/2" slice
  • 1 medium butternut squash or one package of prepared squash, cut into 1/2" chunks
  • 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup of water or vegetable broth
  • 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • salt and pepper as desired
  • additional spices as desired
Directions:

Over medium heat, saute the onion in a little avocado oil until it softens.  Stir in the garlic, a little salt, pepper, and the spices, then stir in the remaining ingredients.

Cover and set the Instant Pot, if using, to slow cook on medium for four hours.  Time may vary depending on type of slow cooker used.

At end of cooking time, stir in the chickpeas and taste for any additional salt, pepper, or spices if needed.

This recipe is currently 2 points for a 1 and 1/3 cup serving on the current (2021) WW Green program.  Depending on the program, it is never high in points.  If you're doing Purple or other versions of "Core," it is 0 points per serving.

~ ~ ~

I used to make this stew in my old friend here, and it came right up to the rim.  Alex and I would bring the whole pot, along with our shopping bags of gifts, to Lizzie's house on Christmas Day.  It was Alex's job to hold the warm Crock-Pot wrapped in a towel on his lap.  At Lizzie's house we plugged it in at the buffet table, and it made everything just a little more Christmas-y with the spicy smells and vibrant colors.  

Poor old Ivy, I should take you out again soon.  I bought her at Caldor some time in the early 1990s.  I still remember the man saying "I see you are interested in that.  It goes on sale for nine dollars tomorrow, but tell the cashier that I said you can have the sale price today."  People don't do things like that anymore, and Caldor was replaced by Walmart.  So many Crock-Pots in so many families, with so many memories!  Who even called it a "slow cooker" then. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - 10 Messages Your Angels Want You to Know by Doreen Virtue

CBD Oil - Hype or Hope?

Quinoa Tabbouleh